The Republic of the Philippines Social Security System1

August 18, 2015 06:30:14 AM


Compulsory Coverage of Employers
a.  An employer, or any person who uses the services of another person in business, trade, industry or any undertaking.
A social, civic, professional, charitable and other non-profit organization which hire the services of employees are considered “employers.”
b.   A foreign government, international organization or its wholly-owned instrumentality such as embassy in the Philippines, may enter into an administrative agreement with the SSS for the coverage of its Filipino employees.

Compulsory Coverage of Self-Employed Members
A self-employed person, regardless of trade, business or occupation, with an income of at least P1,000 a month and not over 60 years old, should register with the SSS. Included, but not limited to are the following self-employed persons.
a.  self-employed professionals;
b.  business partners, single proprietors and board directors;
c.  actors, actresses, directors, scriptwriters and news reporters who are not under an employer-employee relationship;
d.  professional athletes, coaches, trainers and jockeys;
e.  farmers and fisherfolks; and
f.  workers in the informal sector such as cigarette vendors, watch-your-car boys, hospitality girls, among others.

PROCEDURE For Employers:

Single Proprietorships

An owner of a single proprietorship business should accomplish and submit SSS Form R-1 (Employer Registration)and R-1A (Employment Report).


Any of the partners of a partnership firm should accomplish SSS Forms R-1 (Employer Registration)and(R-1A (Employment Report) and submit these forms together with a photocopy of the Articles of Partnership. The original copy of the Articles of partnership must be presented to the SSS for Authentication purposes.

A corporation must accomplish SSS Forms R-1(Employer Registration) and R-1A (Employment Report) signed by its President or any of the corporate officers and submit these forms together with a photocopy of the Articles of Incorporation. The original copy of the Articles of Incorporation must be presented to the SSS for authentication purposes.

For Self-Employed Members
A self-employed person should accomplish SSS Form RS-1 (Self-Employed Data Record) and submit it together with a photocopy of any of the following baptismal, birth certificate, driver’s license, passport, Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Card, Seaman’s Book. I n the absence of these documents, any two of the secondary documents mentioned earlier.
A self-employed member who has employees, should also register as an employer and secure an employer ID number which the company must use in all transactions with the SSS.

  For more details, go to the website of the Social Security System at